Use these seven tips to help make the move into a newly constructed home a straightforward, enjoyable experience.
Today I’m joined by Müve Team members John Rota, Tyler Beal, and Nik Jankovic to discuss the process of moving into newly built homes. Hopefully, these tips will make the endeavour a pleasant experience for you and your family.
1. Choose a reputable developer. In order to tell whether a developer will be fit for the job, talk to people in your community and check online reviews. This feedback will tell you about experiences that others have had while working with the developer in question.
2. Be “add-on” aware. Adding features to the home will drive up the price of your purchase. This includes features like upgraded flooring, granite countertops, additional bathrooms, finished basements, and so on.
3. Stay involved with the building process. Be sure to keep in consistent contact with the contractor and schedule regular meetings so that you can stay up to date on the progress of your home.
4. Learn your neighborhood. Partner with an agent who knows the area, and also be sure to reach out to your future neighbors.
5. Be flexible. Deadlines need to be flexible; issues are bound to occur when building a new home, so make sure you have a back up plan in case your old home sells before your new home is completed.
6. Plan a walkthrough. Don’t feel like you’re pestering the builder—this is a big purchase, and you need to make sure that everything is going according to plan. Ask your agent for tips about what to look for during these walkthroughs.
7. Look into new home warranties. Ask your agent for referrals on home insurance.
We are a wealth of knowledge and we want this process to go smoothly for you. If you have any questions or if you would like us to cover a particular topic in a future video, feel free to reach out to us. We’d love to hear from you.